Title: Hope Rising, Part 6: "When You're About To Give Up"
Speaker: Jayson Meyer
Movement 1: John 8:28 “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he.”
1. Have you ever had a moment with a friend of a spouse that seems to completely explain the relationship the two of you have?
Movement 2: Gospel—He took up sinfulness not His own that we might take up a righteousness not our own
Movement 3: Why talk about the Gospel?
1. The Gospel is the power of God to transform
2. Think of it like concentric circles
Movement 4: Responses to the Gospel
1. Repentance—a sustained response to the Gospel that unifies our being with Gospel truth by Gospel power.
Should we draw 1 stick figure or 5?
2. Baptism—The beginning of and a commitment to sustained identification with the Gospel.
Baptism is like being an athlete
3. Believe the Gospel—The power of the Gospel comes in two movements. It first says, “I am more sinful and flawed than I ever dared believe,” but then quickly follows with, “I am more accepted and loved than I ever dared hope.” Timothy Keller